Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
Close your eyes.
3. Become aware of your breathing and breathe through your nose.
4. As you breathe out, say the word "one" silently to yourself. Continue the pattern, breath in . . . out . . . "one" . . . in . . . out . . . "one" . . . and so
5. Don't try too hard at relaxation, as this can be counterproductive.
6. Ideally practise this relaxation exercise for 5 minutes in the morning,
5 minutes in the afternoon and slowly increase until you are practising the relaxation exercise for 20 minutes a day.
7. When you have finished open your eyes and remain seated for a couple of
8. Don't worry about your success at relaxation.
9. Maintain a passive attitude, don't try to stop any thoughts just keep
your mind on the word "one".
10. Practise this relaxation on a daily basis. Don't
just use it when you encounter a stressful situation.
11. Try not to practise relaxation after a meal.